A healthy garden is a beautiful garden, and compost is a critical component of helping a garden thrive. Compost provides a variety of benefits for your garden including adding nutrients to the soil, balancing pH, regulating moisture, and enriching the soil. Elevate your gardening experience by adding Big Earth Landscape Supply’s compost to your garden.
Compost is a soil mixture comprised largely of decaying organic material used for adding nutrients to an existing area. Thus, creating a more fertile environment to grow plants. Our compost is a plant based compost.
What is a yard?
A yard of compost covers approximately 100 square feet at 2-3″ thick and weighs roughly 1.2 tons
*Please be aware that compost does compact and will settle about 1/2″-1″ upon rain and watering application
Our Compost is a great way to create a fertile environment. Here are some examples of what companies and home owners have used our Compost for:
- Soil for growing plants and vegetables
- garden beds
- top dressing of existing soil
- mixing with topsoil and potting soil
- adding fertile layer of soil under mulch
- creating gardenscapes
- soil additive
- and much more
Compost is a heavier bulk product, weighing in at 1.2 tons and even heavier after a good rain. Here are the average weight loads of pickup trucks Big Earth has experienced customers are able to hold on average:
- Smaller Pickup Trucks (Ranger/Tacoma/S10/Mazda B pickup/Chevy Colorado) 0.25 – 0.5 yard
- Mid-Standard Sized Pickup Trucks: (Tundra/Titan/F150) 0.75 – 1 yard
- Silverado/Ram/F250: 1 – 1.5 yards
- F350/Larger Ram Trucks/Larger Dodge Trucks: 1.5 – 2 yards
- Dumptrucks: Recommended to be preloaded for total weight capacity
***If you have never loaded your truck with bulk material before: We recommend you stop in at the front desk and request a preload to find out the safest and most optimal weight load your truck can hold. You may leave a credit card with someone at the front desk to hold, proceed around to loading area, observe as tractor loads your vehicle, then go back to front desk and cashout.
Compost is delivered in a dump truck or in super sacks
Upon check out please note that bulk materials are understood to be delivered in a Dumptruck unless otherwise arranged.
If it is desired to arrange delivery in super sacks: a super sack must be purchased for each yard of bulk material in addition to purchase of flat rate delivery fee.
I'm not sure how much my vehicle can hold
Preload the product to see how much weight or how much product your vehicle can hold.
Preloading the product to see how much weight or how much product your vehicle can hold is a wise decision. Those whom have never loaded landscaping materials before or if you are sending your employees to pick up and product but aren’t sure how many yards their truck can take then getting preloaded is the solution for you!
Preloading is the solution to many loading predicaments:
- How many bags of mulch will fit in my trunk?
- Not Sure how many pieces of sod will fit in your car?
- Not sure how many or have never had bulk items dumped into the back of your truck?
- It just rained and I’m not sure how many yards of dirt my truck will hold.
- I want to safely transport as many bags of beach pebble as I can but am afraid it may be too heavy
Remember! It is easier to come back and make a second trip then it is to replace your truck! Please be present during all preloads and communicate to the Big Earth Team when you are satisfied with the amount of product loaded. Big Earth reserves the right to refuse loading at our discretion. Safety is first and foremost and if conditions are deemed unsafe, we have the right refuse to load.
- Walk into any of our locations and visit the front desk
- Let a Big Earth Team Member know you need to be preloaded and what type of material you wish to get preloaded
- Leave a credit card to be held with the Team Member at the front desk while you are being preloaded
- Proceed around to loading area
- Observe as tractor, machine or team member loads your vehicle
- Go back to front desk and cash out