Every good project must begin with a firm foundation. Our multi-purpose leveling sand is the perfect start for your paver project, from patios to driveways. In addition, 250 leveling sand is commonly referred to as screenings and can also be used to create beautiful walkways and pathways. This firm foundation will give you a beautiful space to enjoy for years to come.
- 250 Sand/ Screenings are available at Big Earth Bradenton, Palmetto and Sarasota only. Orders for delivery or pick up outside of this territory are subject to additional fees at the discretion of Big Earth.
Our 250 sand is a mixture of tiny microscopic shells and sand. Together these allow for ultimate compaction and great leveling or grading of a foundation. Thus the reason for this product’s popularity amongst paver companies. This product is also commonly used for pathways and parking lots in many of the areas parks and campgrounds.
What is a yard?
A yard covers approximately 100 square feet at 2-3″ thick and weighs roughly 1.3 tons
*Please be aware that 250 does compact and will settle about 1/2″-1″ upon rain and watering application
Our 250 Sand is a great way to create a paver base or level foundation because of the microscopic nature of the product’s grit. This allows for the foundation to be smoother than lime rock or roadbase foundations. Here are some examples of what companies and home owners have used 250 sand for:
- Paver base
- Top dressing of shed foundations
- Base to pour concrete slab
- Grading of driveways and pathways
- Temporary construction lots
- Under putting greens
- Bocce Ball courts
- and much more
Paver base or foundations:
- level out area using an aluminum landscape rake
- apply water and use rubber mallet to hit pavers into place
- Grade existing land and remove unwanted leaves or roots
- Lay weed mat or ground cover down
- Reinforce ground fabric with weed mat pins
- Spread 250 sand at 2-3″ thick
- Grade and level with a landscaping rake or bow rake
*Please be aware that 250 does compact and will settled about 1/2″ upon rain and watering application
250 sand is a heavier bulk product, weighing in at 1.3 tons and even heavier after a good rain. Here are the average weight loads of pickup trucks Big Earth has experienced customers are able to hold on average:
- Smaller Pickup Trucks (Ranger/Tacoma/S10/Mazda B pickup/Chevy Colorado) 0.25 – 0.5 yard
- Mid-Standard Sized Pickup Trucks: (Tundra/Titan/F150) 0.75 – 1 yard
- Silverado/Ram/F250: 1 – 1.5 yards
- F350/Larger Ram Trucks/Larger Dodge Trucks: 1.5 – 2 yards
- Dumptrucks: Recommended to be preloaded for total weight capacity
***If you have never loaded your truck with bulk material before: We recommend you stop in at the front desk and request a preload to find out the safest and most optimal weight load your truck can hold. You may leave a credit card with someone at the front desk to hold, proceed around to loading area, observe as tractor loads your vehicle, then go back to front desk and cashout.
250 sand is delivered in a dump truck or in super sacks
Upon check out please note that bulk materials are understood to be delivered in a Dumptruck unless otherwise arranged.
If it is desired to arrange delivery in super sacks: a super sack must be purchased for each yard of bulk material in addition to purchase of flat rate delivery fee.
I'm not sure how much my vehicle can hold
Preload the product to see how much weight or how much product your vehicle can hold.
Preloading the product to see how much weight or how much product your vehicle can hold is a wise decision. Those whom have never loaded landscaping materials before or if you are sending your employees to pick up and product but aren’t sure how many yards their truck can take then getting preloaded is the solution for you!
Preloading is the solution to many loading predicaments:
- How many bags of mulch will fit in my trunk?
- Not Sure how many pieces of sod will fit in your car?
- Not sure how many or have never had bulk items dumped into the back of your truck?
- It just rained and I’m not sure how many yards of dirt my truck will hold.
- I want to safely transport as many bags of beach pebble as I can but am afraid it may be too heavy
Remember! It is easier to come back and make a second trip then it is to replace your truck! Please be present during all preloads and communicate to the Big Earth Team when you are satisfied with the amount of product loaded. Big Earth reserves the right to refuse loading at our discretion. Safety is first and foremost and if conditions are deemed unsafe, we have the right refuse to load.
- Walk into any of our locations and visit the front desk
- Let a Big Earth Team Member know you need to be preloaded and what type of material you wish to get preloaded
- Leave a credit card to be held with the Team Member at the front desk while you are being preloaded
- Proceed around to loading area
- Observe as tractor, machine or team member loads your vehicle
- Go back to front desk and cash out