Many homeowners in South Florida are just now considering how to have a beautiful green lawn this summer – and for some, that means laying new sod. If you are looking to beautify your lawn, fill in bare spots or to try a new grass variety, you may be wondering the best way to purchase sod. Your new sod will come on pallets, but the sizes and measurements vary depending on moisture content, grass type, the size of the sod pieces, and the type of soil.
Therefore educating yourself on how to buy sod pallets is an important first step.
Purchasing Sod Pallets
- Price of Sod Pallets: The price of grass for your lawn is most often quoted by the pallet. Therefore, having an understanding of how the professionals talk about pallets is important to place your order correctly. Pricing according to pallet size may vary based on shipping weight, or how high the distributor piles the pallet.
- Size of Sod Pallets: Most pallets are available in measurements of 400 to 500 square feet, although some distributors do offer pallets up to 700 square feet. The most common sizes are 400, 450 and 500 square feet.
- Weight of Sod Pallets: The weight of the pallet can be vastly different if the soil is wet, so keep this in mind to ask when ordering. Important: A pallet of sod can weigh as much as 3,000 pounds. If you are planning to pick up your sod pallets in your own vehicle rather than having it shipped, be aware of the size and weight capacity which will be necessary.
- Types of Sod in South Florida: In this region of the United States, Bermuda, zoysia, St. Augustine, and centipede grasses are the most common Florida grasses.
- Purchasing Sod Pallets: Most sod in Florida comes in rectangle slabs which measure 16 x 24 inches and cover 2.66 sq. ft. Because of the variations in pallet arrangement, make sure to ask about the price per sq. ft. as pallet pricing may not give you an accurate comparison.
Making the Right Sod or Grass Choice
When deciding what to purchase, you will first want to determine which grass is right for you. Is your lawn in full sun, or do you have many shady areas? Does your grass tend to have problems with pests or fungus, or has it remained relatively strong and healthy? Here in the Sarasota and Tama area, you also will likely need to determine if your HOA has any types of guidelines or restrictions as to the type of grass you are allowed to install on your lawn.
Once you determine the type of grass you need and have the measurements of how much you require, come to speak to a local lawn and landscaping expert. We can help you to determine the right amount of sod to purchase, as well as walk you through the types of sod available. At Big Earth Landscape Supply, our sod is sold in increments of 400 square feet and is sand-based to best reflect our environment.
The team at Big Earth Landscape Supply is dedicated to helping you to cultivate your greenest and healthiest lawn yet. From quality sod and grasses to herbicides and fertilizers, we have all the products you need. Shop online, or stop by one of our 4 area locations (Tampa, Sarasota. Bradenton and Palmetto.) Don’t forget to check out our inventory of unique natural furniture, yard statuaries, ornamental rocks and more.